Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A long day that ended with potato dumplings.


Today was busy. My class and I went on a fun field trip to a walnut ranch in West Covina. There were a lot of fun, hands on activities for the kids to do and they really enjoyed it, so did I. After the field trip, I went to my Grandma's house to take care of her (as I do every Wednesday) and she was especially confused when I came walking through the door. I think having a Grandma with Alzheimer's is something that I have gotten used to.. either that or I'm just calloused. It's all just very odd.. very sad. I think it's something that I have already grieved over. She doesn't know me at all anymore, I am a stranger to her.. but there are those random times when she looks up and she smiles and looks at me as a familiar face. She's very sweet. We played cards, put together a puzzle and sat outside and looked at the trees and the flowers.

Later, Paul and I went to the farmers market and did our grocery shopping. We were tired and hungry when we got home and decided that something hot was the way to go. I had some left over mashed potatoes from a couple nights ago and decided to make potato dumplings in tomato soup. The process is pretty easy, all you need is some flour and your left over mashed potatoes and you're in business. I sprinkled flour on the board, plopped a big handful of potatoes on it and needed it until it felt more like a dough that could be rolled out, adding flour until desired consistency. I rolled it and cut it into bite size pieces and put them in the hot soup to heat them through. All it needs is some freshly ground black pepper and a spoon, total comfort. I served it along side a fresh mixed green salad and it was the perfect pair. It was super easy and it hit the spot.

Bed time.

3 comments:

steph kunze said...

Oh my. I didn't know you could do that with left over mashed potatoes! That made my mouth water.

Also, my grandma also Alzheimer's and it was really strange...when i went to go visit her in France two summer's ago, I couldn't believe she couldn't really remember me. Strange, strange, strange...I love that you visit her every Wednesday. You're such a wonderful person. I love you! Wanna come over some time in the next couple weekends? Love you!

steph kunze said...

Let's correct my sleepy grammar. "My grandma also had Alzheimers and..."

Amber said...

seriously...your meals put me to shame...i alwasy feel so guilty that I never cook like that...can I blame it on my kids???