Monday, January 18, 2010

Healthy Morning

I am so thankful for this day off from work. What better day to be home than on a cold, rainy morning, it's been lovely. I cuddled in bed with Tootsie for a while today listening to the rain and after some time passed, I figured it was time to get myself up. I started out with a little morning yoga which was so refreshing. (I'm keeping up with my 2010 goals and I've been doing well with trying to work out several times a week.) Then I danced around the kitchen with good music blaring and made a little breakfast: Raspberrry Vanilla Whole Grain Cream of Wheat.

>>Follow the instructions for a single serving of Cream of Wheat and put into a bowl. (Oatmeal would be tasty too.)
>>Add in 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract and 2 Tbps of raspberry preserves.
>>Add a splash of low fat milk for richness. (Optional)
>>Whisk together and enjoy.

This was very easy to make and a healthy alternative to pouring spoonfuls of sugar into your breakfast. You could always add a any fresh or dry fruit that you might have on hand. Change up the flavors too if you don't like raspberry. :)

Paul will be getting home earlier than normal today so we are going to try and do something fun in the rain. For dinner tonight, I am going to make a chicken and brown rice dish accompanied by Julia Child's french green beans, I'm pretty excited to make them. For Christmas, Paul's parent's got me The French Chef with Julia Child which is a full season of her cooking show and it is delightful. I have learned many things from her, I am striving for culinary excellence after all. :)

I always have music playing when I'm home, it's just something I can't live without because it brings me so much joy. So here is my theme song for the day. I hope it brings you as much happiness as it did for me this morning. Watch the cute video too. :) Happy Monday.


6 comments:

the shoppe owner said...

I haven't been able to eat cream of wheat for the longest time, because all I can ever imagine adding to it is milk and BUTTER!!! I so love how it clumps up into those little beads of yumminess sometimes... Sigh...

Now, though, since you have posted this little recipe, I am inspired. Perhaps a little vanilla and preserves can save me from clogged arteries and certain death. Now, if only I could get over eating coconut cupcakes with cream cheese frosting...

jennainthesky said...

You're too funny Susan. :)

steph kunze said...

Sounds so lovely! I, too, have a day off and have been enjoying it so! Some fun music, if you haven't heard yet, Miike Snow, Passion Pit, Pheonix, Metric...etc. That's what's been playing in this home :) You guys should come down in the next couple weeks...I shall cook a feast for the two loveliest people!

jennainthesky said...

Thanks for the music recommendations Steph! And we would love to come down.. seriously.. seriously! We are entering wedding season times 100 right now so the next, oh maybe 4 weekends we are jam packed but what about after that? I'll email you a couple of weekends that we are free and see what you think. Paul works Sundays so Saturdays are our only days. Miss you and can't wait to see you!!

Amber said...

Speaking of culinary excellence...have you been to Sweet and Saucy Shop yet??? Next time you guys are in LB stop there. OMG their desserts are to die for Jenna...the cupcakes???? HEAVEN!!!!!!! ahh...Im LONGING for one right now!!! You MUST go soon!!!

jennainthesky said...

I haven't been there yet but because of you recommendation.. it looks like I am going to have to try it! :)