Monday, May 17, 2010

Beer Batter Bread


This is just too easy not to try. I tried this recipe because my dear friend Jonathan Clark tried it first and found it to be successful. He got the recipe from from the William Sonoma Baking Cookbook. I have made this 2 other times and it was just splendid, super yummy with just butter or a little bit of strawberry jam. :) So here it is..

Beer Batter Bread
  • 3 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
  • 3 tbsp firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 bottle (12 fl oz) beer, unopened and at room temperature
  • 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for serving
Preheat the oven to 375. Grease a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. In a bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Open the beer and add it all at once and it should foam up. I used some orange creme beer because that's what I already had in our fridge and it turned out well. Stir the batter quickly until the ingredients combine. Your batter should be a little lumpy. Pour into the greased loaf pan and drizzle with the melted butter.

Bake until the top is crusty and a cake tester comes out of the center clean, about 35-40 minutes. Let the bread rest in the pan 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Cut a big ol' slice of that thing and dress it up with butta' and some jam. Jonathan mentioned that the left overs were just as good as the first slice. I can't say that we would know that seeing as our bread magically disappears the day it's made (with the help of some friends).. so no left overs for us.

I hope that you try it, love it and tell me all about it. :)

4 comments:

Kaylyn Machelle said...

on the to do list :)

Jonathan said...

glad to see bbb is getting some play time in your kitchen! your final product looks delish! question: did you have the same problem I did when you added the beer? my batter turned into a thick dough ball. i was thinking it was just the temp of the beer (still cold from the fridge). i guess it still turned out well, so who really cares...

jennainthesky said...

The first two times it didn't happen but the third time I made it, it was a bit lumpy.. but all three times.. it turned out the same which was YUMMY! :)

Kelli Nicole said...

This is what you brought to Josh's; right? That deliciiousness that I couln't keep my paws off of, even though I'm highly allergic... I plan on trying to make a gluten-free version! MMMMMMM....